Monday, September 6, 2010

Elias' First Day of School

This past Wednesday Elias started his second year of pre-school. We met the teacher prior to the start of the year and were impressed by the school. They have their act together.

We've been talking with Elias for the past month about his 'new school' and his 'new house'. In fact he is still calling them his 'new school' and his 'new house'. I wonder when he will drop the adjective? Up till now he has shown an excitement about his new school. All that excitement came to a culmination when his school bus came cruising over the hill to pick him up on his first day. Elias performed a little dance wiggling his arms, twisting his hands and marching in place; his typical 'I'm so excited I don't know what to do but move all around.' Its as if his little body is filled to the rim with expectation and he has to shake it all out.

When he got home I asked him what he did. He sang songs, ate snack, and colored; at least that's his account. That same evening I heard him singing some song. I couldn't quite make out the words, but it was clear he had memorized whatever song they sang that day in school. When I asked him about it he stopped and wouldn't sing the words for me. You have to catch him in the moment, he's a true artist and doesn't perform lest when the muse invokes.

Betsy was home when Elias was dropped off. He walked to the steps of the bus and wouldn't get off. Instead he shouted “Go back to school!” Apparently he likes school. The next day he wouldn't get out of his seat and said he wanted to stay at school. I hope its that the school is so wonderful and not that home is so boring!

3 comments:

  1. I love the "new school" "new house." He may never drop the adjective- Sophia hasn't :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love his little dance! So glad he likes his new school. Tell him we say "Hi Mr. Neighbor!"

    ReplyDelete