Saturday, October 9, 2010

From Books I'm Reading



The History of the Church, Eusebius of Caesarea (Palestine)

Eusebius was the first historian of the Church. He wrote his famous History of the Church shortly after the Great and Last Persecution of the Church under Emperor Diocletian at the end of the 3rd century and right after the conversion of Constantine and the freeing of the Church. It starts with the advent of Christ and continues up to his own day with the reign of Constantine. It is a fascinating read full of stories and facts that elaborate among other things on the events during the life of Christ and of his apostles. One such story is of King Agbar of Edessa.

Agbar was the king of Edessa in what is now the eastern part of Syria. He had heard of Jesus' ministry, of how he had healed the sick and raised the dead. Agbar was himself suffering from a terrible disease and sent a letter to Jesus Christ requesting that he come and heal him. Jesus did not travel to Edessa, but he did write the king a letter. Eusebius includes that letter in his History. He says that he traveled to Edessa itself and located this very letter in the Record Office of the city and translated it from Syriac to Greek. Jesus would have spoken Syriac, or rather a dialect of Syriac called Aramaic. 

The letter is as follows:
Blessed are those who believed in me without having seen me. For it is written of me that those who have seen me will not believe in me, and those who have not seen me will believe and live. As to your request that I come to you, I must complete all that I was sent to do here, and on completing it must at once be taken up to the One who sent me. When I have been taken up I will send to you one of my disciples to cure your disorder and bring life to you and to those with you.

After Christ's Ascension Thaddeus one of the Seventy Apostles was sent to King Agbar. He was healed. Subsequently Edessa became the first Christian kingdom in around the year 30 AD. Edessa was at this time outside the bounds of the Roman Empire.

Precious Vessels of the Holy Spirit: The Lives and Counsels of Contemporary Elders of Greece, Herman A. Middleton

This is an excellent devotional book. It contains brief accounts of the lives of holy men from Greece who lived and died during the 20th century. It also contains a collection of their advice and consul given to others. All of these men are what are considered in the Orthodox Church, Holy Elders; men who excel in peering into the souls of others and spiritually directing those who come to them to advice and confession. Here are a few of their quotes:

My children I don't want Paradise without you. - Elder Amphilochios of Patmos

When someone opens your heart I would like him to find nothing else but Christ. - Elder Amphilocios of Patmos

I was born to love people. It doesn't matter if he is a Turk, black or white. I see in the face of each person the image of God. And for this image I am willing to sacrifice everything. - Elder Amphilocios of Patmos

True love is like the flame of a candle. However many candles you light from the flame the initial flame remains unaffected. It doesn't lessen at all. And every freshly lit candle has as much flame as the others do. - Elder Epiphanios of Athens

I want whoever is near me to feel that he has room to breathe, not that he is suffocated. I don't call anyone to me. I don't hold on to anyone. I don't chase anyone away. Who ever wants comes, whoever wants stays, whoever wants leaves. - Elder Epiphanios of Athens

I not afraid of death. Not, of course, because of my works, but because I believe in God's mercy. - Elder Epiphanios of Athens

Speak more to God about your children than to your children about God. The soul of the teenager is in a state of an explosion of freedom. This is why it is hard for them to accept counsel. Rather than counseling then continuously and reproaching them again and again. Leave the situation to Christ, to the Panagia (Mary), and to the Saints. Asking that they bring them to reason. - Elder Epiphanios of Athens

No comments:

Post a Comment